1902, two years after the Village of Danvers was incorporated, the
Bank of Danvers was opened by DePue Brothers of Olivia, Minnesota.
Thomas H. Connolly, a Tara Township farmer at the time, and Leslie
Matthews, a Benson banker, and others, later purchased the business
from the founder and Mr. Connolly assumed management of the new
bank on January 1, 1904. In 1907 the bank was chartered by the State
of Minnesota and renamed the State Bank of Danvers.
Under the management of Mr. Connolly, the bank quickly gained the
confidence of the people of the community and growth was rapid.
By the end of 1908 total deposits of the bank were over $40,000.
In 1912 a two-story building was constructed on the site of the
original bank building at the corner of Front and Liberty Streets
in Danvers to accommodate the expanding business. Growth of the
bank was steady through the years of World War I and after.
Mr. Connolly was an avid automobile enthusiast being one of the first auto owners in the County. In the very early days of the automobile, he and Mrs. Connolly traveled by auto to both coasts of the United States and many of the Western states, usually with another couple or auto caravan that would camp out in tents along the way.
After Mr. Connolly's untimely death following a tornado in August 1928, his son, Daniel L. Connolly assumed management of the bank. Under his careful guidance the bank survived the "bank holiday" and severe depression on the early '30's without financial loss to bank depositors.
By 1956 the bank reached a $1,500,000 deposit mark and outgrew their facilities. A modern one-story brick building was built and occupied by the bank in the fall of 1957. Again, in 1979, the bank moved to a new facility in Danvers, which now is the main office of the bank.
Upon the death of D.L. Connolly in 1960, his son, Thomas C. Connolly, became chief executive officer of the bank and served in that capacity until his death in 2009. Tom's son, John D. Connolly, joined the bank in 1980 after some years of experience at the First State Bank of Lakefield and now serves as President and CEO of the bank.
In July of 1999, the bank opened its new, branch facility in Benson geared to meet the technological challenges of the 21 century. July 16, 2002 marked
a full century of continuous financial service to the community by four generations of the Connolly family.
Our bank staff looks forward to many more years of progress and service to the community.